skip to main content
Grove Scholars
Ole Miss

Grove Scholar Profile: Chandler Tolbert

By: Hayden Wiggs, Journalism Graduate Student

Chandler TolbertChandler Tolbert of Philadelphia, Mississippi, graduated in December 2022 with a B.S. in Allied Health Studies. He’s now working as a patient care technician in the intensive care unit at Anderson Regional Medical Center in Meridian.

When Tolbert first decided to go to college, he said he was looking for schools that would allow him to create lasting friendships while also receiving a top-notch education in a STEM-related field. He said he was attracted to the University of Mississippi “by its distinguished curriculum, beautiful campus, and the community [that] it serves.”

Tolbert was accepted as a UM Grove Scholar, a rigorous academic program that provides STEM and health-related majors with career and research opportunities while promoting “personal growth and comradery.”

Tolbert said he found himself pushed to new heights in the program, and he credits the Grove Scholars with not only helping him make new friends and creating a wide network of “reliable colleagues,” but also helping him to make the most of his time at the university.

“I joined Grove Scholars to surround myself with people with similar aspirations and a mentor who would help us achieve those goals and help with any problem we encountered,” said Tolbert. “It also gave me the opportunity to attend graduate school. I would tell any prospective student that my experience at Ole Miss would have never been the same without the Grove Scholars.”

Outside of his role at the Anderson Regional ICU, Chandler enjoys songwriting as a way to destress after long days in a demanding environment.

“Songwriting endows an outlet in which I can reflect upon past life events in order to deepen my understanding of them,” he said.

Tolbert is actively applying to medical schools and hopes to be accepted for the 2023 fall semester.